Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Diversity

Being white, middle class, and Catholic, I fit the Notre Dame stereotype to a T. I love being in college with people from different backgrounds and I really enjoy hearing about different cultures, heritages, and traditions, yet I’ve never considered myself a very “diverse” person.

Recently, however, I was at Celebration Choir rehearsal and we pulled out a song we had sung the year before with the Voices of Faith Gospel Choir as part of the Interfaith Prayer Service. Part of the song was in Swahili and I realized how excited I was to sing it again. As I continued singing and thinking about the delight this song has brought me, I realized that so many parts of my spiritual life were products of a diverse community.

Meditation and Yoga come from Buddhist and Hindu traditions, yet it provides me richness in my prayer life. Meditation helps me clear my mind and focus on God. I often like to use the mantra “Be still, and know that I am God.” Yoga for me is an extension of my meditation practice. It allows me to cherish and appreciate the body that God gave me.

The music from Africa and the African-American tradition really excites me about my faith and my love for the Lord. Last year I had a great opportunity to sing in the Concert for the Missions. I loved learning and performing our repertoire because it was such a joyful expression of God’s love for us and our love for God.

One of my favorite ways to celebrate mass is with the French speaking community at Notre Dame. As a French major, it’s a really unique experience to have monthly mass with my classmates, professors, and members of the community. It continues to remind me the way our faith goes beyond language barriers and it’s never ending way to bringing people together.

The America’s brings us many beautiful role models of faith. They give us people who stand up for what is right, like Archbishop Oscar Romero and Jean Donovan. At my mom’s work, the Solanus Casey Center in Detroit, MI, there are two life size statues of them. Whenever I visit there, I am reminded of our immense responsibility to live lives that serve others and work for justice.

The thing about the church is that it is catholic. The small “c” means universal. Despite the fact that Catholicism and Christianity are spread out and practiced throughout the world, we are brought together by the same God and the same faith. As we are drawn together, we become one body, one church. “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus,” says Galatians 3:28.

In the end, it doesn’t matter where you are from- we are all part of our own rich traditions and we partake in a myriad of others. But most importantly, we are beyond that, we are part of a nation like no other, that of Christ.


Want to take part in some of the activities mentioned in this article? Notre Dame Campus Ministry offers Zen Meditation every Thursday at 5:15 p.m. the CoMo first floor Meditation room and the Voices of Faith Gospel Choir rehearses every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. in Crowley Hall. The Concert of the Missions will take place on Friday, November 1st and will feature the Folk Choir. For information on French Mass, contact the Cercle Francais: http://www3.nd.edu/~lecercle/

No comments:

Post a Comment