Tuesday, April 29, 2014

5 Questions with Sister Mary Lynch, SSJ

How often do we live with people in our dorms, walk by them, and not know their stories? This week, I decided to explore the story of McGlinn’s rectress, Sister Mary Lynch, SSJ.

Sister Mary worked as a campus minister, a high school theology teacher, and a Formation Director for the Mount St Joseph Convent in Philadelphia before coming to Notre Dame. She has now been the rectress of McGlinn for the past 9 nine years and continuously gives back to her residents in many different ways. Here is just a bit of her story in her words:

How to did you discern your calling to become a nun?

I had a sense that I was being called to religious life. It is not easy to put it into words. I tried not to think about it and it kept coming back.

How did you decide what order to join?

I had the Sisters of St. Joseph in grade school and I have two aunts in the community. Also, the charism spoke to me and I felt that it resonated with my desire to live.

What was your story in terms of coming to Notre Dame?

I was doing internal ministry for the congregation. It was no longer needed so I decided to look for another ministry. I had thought of the rector position two other times in my life but those times were not the right time for me to pursue this ministry.

What is your favorite part of being at Notre Dame? 

Working with students and walking with them through these four years of great growth and maturity.

What is your least favorite part?

The administrative parts of the rector role.

No comments:

Post a Comment