Tuesday, March 3, 2015

No Words (A Poem)

No Words
(A Poem)

What do you say-
To a life of honor,
A life well lived,
A blessed life,
An extraordinary life,
Drawn to a close?
There are no words.

 (7 months ago)
The elevator door opens,
A delicately withered face,
This is him,
I think,
I am finally seeing him!
“Say Hello to Father Hesburgh, kids!”
Says the man pushing the wheelchair,
I try to speak,
But I have-
No words.

(3 days ago)
I wake up early,
To a sunny London morning,
I groggily grab for my phone,
An e-mail,
A sinking feeling,
Once again,
I have-
No words.

We try,
We try,
All of us try,
From the President,
To TV news hosts,
To our dearest friends:
We try to find the words,
To describe the-
Lifechanging,
Legacy Bulding,
Change Galavanizing,
Justice Seeking,
Life,
But nothing will suffice.
We are all left with,
No words.

How do you sum up a life?
How do you take tiny sounds,
And scratches on paper,
To live up to a person,
Who’s life influence,
Has echoed through our campus,
Our country,
Our world.
How do you sum up a life?
Of a person who held hands with Martin Luther King,
Of a person who made friends with popes and presidents,
Of a person who believed that everyone
(regardless of gender)
Deserved a chance to dream beneath the Dome.
How do you sum up that life?

(Today)
In my tiny room in Paris,
I am given the impossible task,
To take an incredible life,
And type it into a coherent form,
But after scouring my thesaurus,
And reflecting, praying.
I have realized that the life of
Father Ted Hesburgh,
Is beyond one of
Mere words.


No comments:

Post a Comment