Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Visages of Jesus

My mom recently traveled from the US to spend a week with me abroad. It was an amazing week showing her some of my favorite sights in the city- the elegant art museum where I like to get tea, my favorite little restaurant that serves an American style brunch, and the best ice cream shop in Paris. We even went to Barcelona for a few days to soak up the sunshine, enjoy Gaudi’s fascinating architecture, and see our favorite musician perform. I loved seeing my mom and spending time with her in my new European world. And nothing showed me how many new Parisian sensibilities I’ve adopted than seeing how “American” my mom was. I giggled and rolled my eyes as she smiled at strangers and talked loudly on the metro. . But, in her short time here, she noticed something in Paris that my aloof eyes hadn’t until now.

My mom was constantly pointing out not just the beauty of Paris, but the poverty of Paris too. She would say things like, “Do you see that area over there? Some homeless people are camped out over there” or “Gosh Megan, I wish I had brought more money with me. Next time I come to Europe I am just going to bring money to help people.” As we were taking a bus past another homeless person, my mom said, “Why don’t you write your blog this week about what it is like to see poor people on the streets?” And I replied in a super charitable Christian way by saying, “Oh yeah I don’t actually pay attention to that.”

To be very honest, in a city where pickpockets and con-artists are an ever present threat, the beggars and homeless of Paris have become a facet I try to ignore and avoid as much as possible. Especially as a young woman often navigating the city by myself, I constantly worry about the threat of being scammed. But it is also convenient to be ambivalent, and a lot easier to pretend these people don’t exist than it is to think about how difficult life in Paris must be for people who sleep in streets, don’t have a reliable source of food, face a disability, or have the responsibility of raising a child..
In this past Sunday’s gospel, Jesus’s followers fail to recognize him once he had risen from the dead. They fail to believe that the man in front of them could actually be Jesus. When we hear this gospel it is shocking to us, because we can’t imagine having Jesus in front of us and not being able to see him for who he is. And yet this is something we do all the time. How often do we encounter people and fail to see the Jesus that lives in them?


It is easy to turn away. At the beginning of this school year, I wrote about how my experience working at camp helped me to see what it means to love as God loves. After a summer of  giving and serving, I had worked hard to see and love everyone as endlessly as God does. But somewhere along the way that awareness seemed to have faded away. What I wasn’t realizing was that loving as God does and looking for that light in others isn’t something you can do for a few weeks or a few months. And it isn’t just the poor people on the street that we need to challenge ourselves to see Jesus in. Rather, it’s the kid in class who is driving you crazy, the person who lives next door who plays his music too loud, and the lady at the train ticket office who can’t seem to understand your muddled French Everyone you encounter deserves for you to see the bit of Jesus that exists inside them. Everyone you encounter deserves your patient and selfless love. Whether it’s through monetary donations, bringing a person food or giving your time and attention, each of us needs to make it a point to see Jesus in others and give of ourselves selflessly just as he would.

No comments:

Post a Comment