Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Paths of Mercy: Prison Ministry

There were a lot of cool things I could have been doing the afternoon of Halloween -- My friends had invited me out to lunch;I had a French paper due later that afternoon . But, instead I was in a car heading toward the South Bend Juvenile Justice Center.

The Celebration Choir had decided to perform at the center that afternoon. Our choir had packed up all our instruments into vans. We got there early to rehearse. We worried about who was going to pass the microphone to whom. We got excited to sing our favorite songs. Apart from the metal detector we had to walk through on our way in, it was a concert just like any other. Afterward, we broke up into small groups and spent time talking to the kids. We talked about our favorite things to study in school, our favorite foods, our favorite styles of dance. It was the same kind of thing I talk about with the students I teach.

Because yeah, they might be in the juvenile justice system, but they are kids. They are humans. They deserve to listen to beautiful music. They deserve to spend a rainy afternoon discussing everyone’s favorite Chipotle order. They deserve love and dignity, just like everyone else.

At my mom’s work there is a beautiful mosaic of the Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy. I would look at them as a kid, checking them off in my head. “I volunteer at soup kitchens. I teach Sunday school. I’m doing all of these.” And then I’d get to “Visit the Imprisoned” and think “Well I can’t do that one.” I completely wrote it off, thinking there was no way I could do that act of mercy. I didn’t know anyone in prison. I didn’t know how to visit a prison. I had watched a documentary about prison in my high school sociology class and it looked pretty scary. I just couldn’t do that one.

I got to college and began to see things a little differently. In my classes I learned more about the problems in our prison system. About the way a system that should be based on justice, was being driven by quotas and laws that were laced with racism. I began to see narratives appearing on TV that paired stories and voices to the prison experience. I began to realize that while prison was a system, it was made up of very real people. These were people who needed love, affirmation of dignity, in the same way senior citizens or preschoolers do.

We are called to serve everyone, not just those who are easy to love, not just those who are comfortable to love. Today marks the beginning of the Year of Mercy for the church. It is a year about “opening the door” and inviting people back in. But in many ways, the doors that need to be opened are the doors in  our hearts. God shows us endless, radiant mercy, but we need to share that mercy with others. We need to reach out and serve everyone. Of course, we can serve those who are easy to love, but it is also an opportunity to reach out to those in society who are unloved and nearly forgotten, too.

Notre Dame has made it easy to explore prison ministry if that is something you are interested in doing. The Reading for Life Program lets ND students serve as leaders for book discussions at the Juvenile Justice Center. Dismas House serves those returning from incarceration. There are even more organizations on the CSC website. There are also “inside-out” classes where you get to take classes at the Westville Correctional Center alongside prisoners. We are surrounded by opportunities to go out and show mercy to others. Let this Year of Mercy be the push you need to go do it.

As I left the juvenile correction facility that day, I felt humbled. I felt honored to have served these kids whose lives were harder than mine, who would deal with struggles I would never know. I was grateful t they opened their hearts to us. Because if we can touch someone’s heart through music, through books, through conversation, whatever it may be,we can help them open up to love for themselves, for others, and in the end, for God.


No comments:

Post a Comment