Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Childlike Faith

This week my life will be consumed by everything education. Between applying for programs, starting up a club at a local school for my senior thesis, and taking the PRAXIS exam to become a teacher, everything is somehow related to teaching. One consuming part of this process is writing personal statements about how I am a faith-filled mentor and a skilled classroom leader. I have spent a lot of time thinking about how I am going to help my future classes connect with their faith. In fact, I already spend a lot of time working on my lesson plans for the religious education classes I teach so that students can develop a deeper understanding of their faith and a richer relationship with God. I keep challenging myself to give more and more to my students to help them grow. But sometimes I forget that I can learn from them too.

One particular student, Tim*, has been in my catechism class for two years now. He is known for saying a lot of off-topic comments (though to his credit they are usually related to religion in some way), while always looking for ways to be a leader in my classroom. He isn’t always on task, but he will constantly ask,“Megan, am I being mature today?” He usually is. A few weeks ago Tim said something to me that stopped my heart.

He told me, “Sometimes I hear God talk to me.”

He continued , “God tells me to do good things for others. Like one time I saw someone who needed help and I just went and did it.”

The conversation jogged my memory to when I was little. Though I can’t say I ever heard God exactly talk to me, I do remember making up conversations in my head about what God would say to me; a childhood way of articulating that God-like tug in my gut. I remember asking my mom about it, saying, “How do you know it’s God talking?” She replied, “If it comes from a place of love, then it is what God is calling you to do.” I imagine that is similar to how Tim was feeling too.

When we are children, our world is limitless. The concept of God is easy to understand because there are no restraints to what we believe or dream. We can all grow up to be ballerinas and pop stars and princesses and teachers at the same time. We don’t bat an eye at the idea that a magical bunny delivers gifts to us on Easter. Our world is surrounded by stories of fairytales and talking animals. In this world, believing in God is just part of the ordinary wonder that is childhood.

As we get older we realize God is different from Santa and our imaginary friends. We are given the privilege of being able to understand theology and the complex academic tradition behind what we believe. While we might not be a ballerina-popstar-princess-teacher, we do realize we are called to serve others with the gifts God gave us. We can enter into deep discussions with friends. We can understand mass in a more sophisticated way (because lets face it, 3 year old me danced around the church singing about Teddy Grahams). It is amazing how much we gain in our faith lives as grow up.

But in many ways we can lose track of that simple, childlike wonder for God. I love teaching lessons and watching my students grow in their knowledge about the faith. We can learn so much from them. Here they are, despite being at the beginning of their faith journeys, willing to pray to God, trust God with their problems, and understand the pure ways in which God loves us all. I think back to the ways I saw miracles in cupcakes (link), didn’t doubt the power of the rosary (link), and encountered valuable faith lessons in the books I read (link). My understanding was simple, but my faith was strong. There is something genuinely inspiring about the simplicity of a child’s faith and I hope to look for that wonder in my own life.

I can’t wait to enter into teaching. I’m so excited to share with my students my favorite books and my love for writing. I look forward to sharing my faith with my students. But I also look forward to the ways I can learn from them. I am delighted for the chance to look through their eyes and revel in God’s wonder, to listen through their ears and to hear God’s voice.

*Name changed for privacy


No comments:

Post a Comment