Tuesday, September 9, 2014

7 Day Prayer Challege

I’m a sucker for good hashtags. Lately, one of my favorite trends is for fitness or yoga challenges. Using social media is a great way to keep yourself accountable. A quick tweet about how you are starting the #15dayAbChallege or #30DayYogaChallege means that all your friends know that you are committed to staying in shape (and therefore can bully you if you don’t). It’s also a good way of developing a habit, challenging yourself to do new things, and telling the world what is importantto you.

So on that note, I present my unique challenge for you. The #7DayPrayerChallenge. Starting tonight (Tuesday, September 9th) I am starting my own challenge!

This challenge is an opportunity to take on different forms of prayer for 7 days. My prayer for you is that in 7days you develop a habit of prayer and find some forms of pray that bring you closer to God. Here is your schedule:

Day One (9/9)- Find your phrase. When accepting any challenge, you gotta give yourself a motivational phrase to help yourself power through. So tonight, right now, as you accept this challenge- go look for your phrase. It can be from the bible, from a religious figure/saint, or really anything that will inspire you and give you strength for the next 7 days. To really commit, I suggest tweeting/instagraming/other social media-ing your phrase with the fabulous hashtag #7DayPrayerChallenge and even including the picture above (especially if you instagram it).

Day Two (9/10)- Seek out silence for 30 minutes. At Notre Dame, it is really hard to find time for quiet. Last week, I snagged a desk on the 12th floor of the Hesburg Library and used it to spend time eating my ABP sandwich and reflecting and praying about my experience at ND. It was a great experience and I definitely encourage you to mind a quiet moment, even if you are super busy, seek out the silence.

Day Three (9/11)- Get moving. Active prayer is awesome because it gets your endorphins going which leads to a more joyful prayer experience. My preferred way to do this is through Christian Yoga, but I recommend you find a way that works for you. Don’t forget to tweet about!

Day Four (9/12)- Readall about it. Write down your thoughts, struggles, and petitions in a letter to God. Obviously one of my favorite ways to talk to God and talk about God is through writing. If you like doing this, it might be a great beginning to a journaling prayer practice for you. Or who knows, maybe you’ll want to start a blog too!

Day Five (9/13)- And Repeat. Saying the rosary is one of my favorite ways to pray to Mary and reflect on her amazing life. Take time today to say a rosary! If you aren’t Catholic, try repeating some of your favorite prayers as a way of reflecting. Keep updating social media about your progress this week !

Day Six (9/14)- Spread the Love. Last spring, I challenged myself to 40 Random Acts of Kindness- today, I challenge you to do just one! Give back to others by doing a spontaneous nice thing for someone- pay for someone’s Starbucks, write your favorite quote a sticky note, or leave a gift card in a bathroom.

Day Seven (9/15)- Celebrate. You made it to Day Seven! If you are a member of the Notre Dame community, join me (and my boss Kate Morgan and my co-blogger Katie) for 11:30 AM mass in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart. If you complete all 7 days of the challenge, we’ll even treat you to Starbucks following Mass!

That’s right, friends- this challenge ends in free Starbucks! So what’s stopping you! A chance to get closer to God, a chance to challenge yourself to new forms of prayer, a chance to develop a prayer habit, a chance to hang out with me your wonderful blogger, and of course, Free Starbucks! So get ready, get set… #7DayPrayerChallenge


No comments:

Post a Comment