Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Summer Camp: Lessons in Love

Last March, I fell into a state of “I-don’t-have-a-summer-job” panic. I decided the best way to remedy this situation, was to apply for 10 summer camps in one week. From tiny day camps to large horse camps, I applied to them all. Eventually I interviewed for the Catholic Youth Organization Girls Camp in Port Sanilac, Michigan. The next day, I went to mass at my home parish and found out that one of my favorite little old ladies at our church had also been a counselor there when she was my age. She shared with me stories about what it was like working there and it seemed more and more like this was where God was calling me to be this summer. A few weeks later, I got offered the job and I accepted right away. After a week of training, I was asked to work an additional two weeks at Camp Ozanam, a nearby camp that allowed underprivileged kids from inner-city Detroit to get a camp experience.

By the time my 6 weeks of working as a camp counselor was done, I had done a lot. I had slept out under the stars 2.5 times. I had cooked out over a fire for a week. I had directed the first the musical that Camp Ozanam had ever seen and taught a weekly dance class at CYO. I had spoken with a British accent for an entire week. I had made enough friendship bracelets, lanyards, and God’s Eyes to never want to see an arts and crafts hut again. I had dealt with campers throwing up and wetting the bed. I even led an overnight canoe trip and camp out along the Black River. It was a summer that was equal parts stress and fun. But as it always seems to happen, as much as I felt that I gave to camp, I felt that camp gave even more back to me. Looking back at my experience this past summer, I realize that camp was really a lesson in love, in really and truly loving like Christ does.

Loving Selflessly-

Just a few minutes into the start of camp, I realized that being a counselor was a job that required many hats- part teacher, part big sister, part bus boy, part cleaning lady, part coach, part paperwork guru. It is not possibly to be so giving and care about yourself at the same time. In order to start caring for your campers, you need to stop caring about yourself. My usual concerns for life- whether my make up looked good, whether I had time to brush my teeth or put on acne cream, whether I had updated social media or finished reading my latest novel- all faded away.  I learned that in order to fully love my campers and make sure they had a fun and safe time at camp, I learned that I needed to let go of all selfishness. Jesus loved us so much that he died for us. The least I can do is sacrifice my own comforts for that of my campers.

Loving Endlessly-

There were lots of campers who were easy to love- the small, sweet little campers who just wanted to hold my hand or the smart older campers who shared the same favorite book as me. There were times when it was easy to love my fellow counselors, when we’d go to the mall together during break or they’d surprise me with ice cream or chicken tenders. But there were times when it was harder to love- when campers were being rude, when a counselor made a brisk remark, or just when I myself was exhausted. But I worked to challenge myself to love anyway. After all, Christ’s love for us never wavers. It doesn’t choose who to love or who not to, Jesus loves everyone.

Love Jesus-

It goes without saying that you can’t be a role model to campers, telling them to live their faith, without trying to live it yourself. I made a special effort this summer to work on my relationship with Christ. I tried to prayer more often and deeper than before. I challenged myself to try lots of new forms of prayer and to talk about these with campers. I also tried to share with my campers- telling them about my struggles and successes in my faith life. I hoped that it would help them be able to listen to God’s call in their lives.

It is hard to communicate the experience I had this summer into a blog post. It was one of the most immersive, trying, and rewarding experiences I have ever had. I am so grateful that I found my way to Port Sanilac this summer. I am grateful for all the smiles from my campers, hugs from my co-counselors, and the ever-beautiful nature I got to see every day. But I am most thankful for my chance to learn to love deeper and richer than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment