Monday, September 22, 2014

Dearest Sophomores,

“I have a couple papers due soon.”

“I’ve already gone on a retreat this year.”

“I got invited to a really cool game watch, so I don’t know.”

These are all  excuses as to why students have not yet signed up for the Sophomore Road Trip. But I am here to tell you that you are wrong! By not signing up for SRT you are missing out on one of the most unique and exciting experiences that Campus Ministry andNotre Dame has to offer. So in response  to the reasons not to go, here are some reasons you SHOULD.

1.     Adventure. A year ago, I wrote about how Sophomore Road Trip helped lead me to say yes to adventure. [KM1] But it should also go without saying that SRT itself is an adventure. At this point in the year, you’ve found your routine. Your weeks fall into an ordinary pattern. The biggest adventure you’ve had so far is taking the bus to the mall. Now is your chance to shake things up. You will get to do things that you’d never get to do on campus and will rarely get a chance to do off campus either. Last year I went canoeing, climbed a high ropes course, and tried so many new forms of prayer. Who knows what adventures this year’s trip will hold?
2.     Let it Go. This is your chance to give yourself a gift. Very rarely at Notre Dame do you get to let go of all your worries, stress, and obligations. You don’t have worry about orgo lab reports or literature essays. You don’t have to worry about where you going, if you will fit in, or what will happen next. The chance to surrender everything and immerse yourself in the experience is truly freeing. You may never get this opportunity again  at college, so take advantage of a few luxurious days where you can escape from the stress of school and take time to think about your own direction.
3.     Understand. In all honesty, I had some very low moments my sophomore year. There were struggles with school, trouble with friends, and disappointment for many of my dreams for the future. This wasn’t my favorite part of my college experience so far, but these issues were a real part of it, and something we will all experience in one way or another. People make a huge deal out of the transitions and struggles of Freshman year, but the truth is we always make transitions and we are always facing struggles. It doesn’t stop when you are a sophomore, or even a junior (I can attest). SRT won’t give you the answers to the problems you face. But it will give you stories of people who turned their hardships over to God and of people who faced problems not unlike yours. Their stories are ones of hope. It was in my very difficult moments when I made myself remember the witnesses of faith that spoke at SRT and helped me have the courage to hope.
4.     Make Life Changing Relationships. This past weekend, I attended the wedding of my former RA. Where did she meet her husband? Sophomore Road Trip. Obviously, we cant’ promise that you will find your future spouse, but you will create rewarding new friendships. Sophomore year the new friend making craze of freshmen year has died off, yet here is an opportunity to meet people who care about some of the same things you do- faith, fun, and adventure. The friendships I made at SRT have been so great, from the friend behind me in French class, to one of my favorite fellow bloggers, to a friend who helped me find my new Ugandan pen pal.

As someone who has spent the past month working hard to plan your road trip for you- I can say, that this is YOUR chance to say yes to adventure. The leadership team has spent weeks planning for your arrival- we’ve prayed for you, we’ve planned out crazy activities for you, we’ve worked hard to become the best we can be so that you have the best time imaginable. The only thing our wonderful retreat is missing is you. So what’s holding you back? Nope, nothing, your reason is invalid. There is only one Sophomore Road Trip left and you are signing up for it.[KM2] 

No comments:

Post a Comment